ST FRANCISVILLE LOUISIANA, VISIT THE HISTORY, STAY FOR THE CHARM
                                                 REQUEST A ROOM RESERVATION ONLINE

 
 
HISTORIC DISTRICT


Audubon Hall
Build 1819 as an open air public market. Large arches at each end for the passage of wagons. Located on Royal St

Brasseaux House

Barrow House
built as a store-cum-dwelling, there is no central hall; french doors gain access. The single-story addition was once a separate house. J. Hunter Collins, law partner of L.D. Brewer of Virginia, noted in his ledger the $260 cost of moving the cottage and $224.38 for the ironwork balconies. Like Brewer, he could not choose between two admired patterns, so the upper and lower balcony rails differ. Royal Street.

Court House
Built in 1903 to replace the 1852 structure damaged when the town was shelled by Federal gunboats during the siege of Port Hudson in 1863. The demolition of the classic slate-covered brick structure proved so unpopular that those responsible refused to have their names displayed on the cornerstone, which remains blank. The temple-like well house from the earlier building remains in the rear.

Court House (Original)
Located on the corner of Royal & Prosperity Streets is a stucco structure which in its original state was one of the finest brick buildings in town. Built as the leading mercantile counting house in 1809, it served as the first court house of West Feliciana Parish in 1824 and later as the branch of the Bank of Louisiana.

Evergreenzine
The descriptive Yiddish name was chosen by a German merchant for his 1885 home.

Goldman House
This beautiful Eastlake cottage with plenty of Victorian gingerbread is located near the foot of Ferdinand Street. Build sometime after 1891 of heart of pine and cypress wood.

Golsan House
Joseph L. Golsan built this charming Queen Anne cottage in 1885. Golsan came to St Francisville in 1877, a young Alabama lawyer eager to enter Post Reconstruction politics. He married the great- grandniece of Lucy Audubon and never lost an election. Royal Street.

Grace Episcopal Church
Organized March 15, 1827, Grace Church is the second oldest Episcopal church in Louisiana. The present Gothic structure was build 1858-60, its cornerstone laid by Leonidas Polk, the Fighting Bishop of the Confederacy. Grace Church's beauty owes much to the restraint of its builder, local master carpenter C.N. Gibbons.

Greek Revival Law Office
Built by a lawyer from New York state in 1842 and has been devoted to the practice of law ever since. Prosperity Street.

Hillcroft
A grand Neoclassical townhouse, was built in 1905 for Judge Samuel McC. Lawrason as a gift from his wife's brother, a wealthy South Louisiana sugar planter.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church
Built from the plans drawn by Confederate Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard in 1871, the church was completed in 1893. The interior columns are of hand-hewn heart pine and the altar was hand-crafted in Natchez.


Printers Cottage
A small post and beam house legend persists that bodies about to be buried in the Old Spanish graveyard were housed. Its heavy corner posts and load-bearing outer walls allowed many interior changes over the years, but the original sturdy construction is apparent in the attic as is damage from Civil War bombardment. Royal St

Presbyterian Church, Old
Location: Historic District, St Francisville, on Prosperity St

Propinquity
One of St Francisville's oldest brick buildings, Propinquity was built of some 200,000 bricks in 1809 as the store of John Mills with cellar underneath and dwelling house above. Lucy Audubon was carried on the account ledger during the years she taught plantation misses as a means of earning the money which allowed her husband to publish his Birds of America. The building was restored as a private residence in 1966. Located on Royal St

Prospect
Built in 1807, is constructed of bousillage ( heavy timbers filled in with a mixture of mud and moss) after the manner of the Creole houses elsewhere in Louisiana. The full cellar, however, is of eastern seaboard derivation. Original construction styles have been overborne by a Victorian dormer and millwork, but an early classical well house still remains. Located on Royal St

Robb House
Romanesque Bank Building
Built in 1905, anchors one corner of Royal and Prosperity streets. This longtime bank now houses Grandmother's Buttons.

St Francisville Democrat
The town has had a weekly newspaper since the third newspaper in the Louisiana Territory, The Time Piece, was established in 1811. The Democrat was begun in 1893 in opposition to the Louisiana lottery and moved into its present office in 1908. Today the front room contains a computer for generating news stories, but the back portion remains the printing shop of the late Horse and Buggy Printer, Elrie Robinson. Old presses and paper folding machines and even the pig iron smelter for casting hand-set type remain.

Wolf-Schlesinger House (St Francisville Inn)
True example of Gothic Victorian style built in 1880, for Morris Wolf, owner of a cotton gin and mercantile store directly across the street. A similar house adjacent, was built by his brother Emanuel Wolf, was later destroyed. Now houses a Bed & Breakfast and antique shop. Located on Commerce St and Ferdinand St

Seabrook
Built 1817 by a Baltimore merchant along Anglo-Creole lines. Located on Royal St

Trinity
Built 1901. Ferdinand St

United Methodist Church
Methodism arrived here in 1803 with fiery missionary Lorenzo Dow; an imposing church was built in Bayou Sara in 1844. The present church was built in 1899 and includes the bell tower from the old church. Location: Historic District on Royal St

Virginia
Magnificent Greek Revival town house began humbly in 1817 as a one-room store. Expanded in 1826 to a story-and-a-half cottage, it reached its present size in 1855 when Massachusetts born lawyer L.K. Brewer added the two story section with elaborate cast iron balconies. Brewer enjoyed his home for only four years before boarding the ill-fated steamboats Princess at Bayou Sara. Bound for New Orleans and delayed by fog, overloaded boilers exploded with great loss of life, including Brewer's. Royal St

White's Cottage
A 1903 urban adaptation of that emblem of Upland south culture know as the dog-trot or pen and passage house -- two "pens" or rooms divided by an open passage or "dog-trot".

Widow Ross's House
Dora Ross was a frugal German hausfrau who had outlived two husbands by the time of the Civil War. She set a good table and served many gunboat officers, oblivious of the ire of her Confederate neighbors. It is said that Admiral Dewey, then a midshipman, often dined at her board.

Wood Cottage

West Feliciana Historical Society & Information Center
Located in the old hardware store circa 1896, the museum houses photographic exhibits, miniature recreation rooms, period clothing and flags of the area. Visitors can find information, brochures and directions. Admission is free.
Open daily 9am-5pm